Saturday, August 20, 2005

Myths About Authors

It's amazing the comments I get and questions I am asked in my travels.

People must place authors in a whole 'nother realm. They seem surprised to meet a real, live author - like they think we hide in caves or something!

Authors are just like everyone else. Not totally normal, but close!

Yes, we write - a lot! And we complete our stories, which seems to amaze people. But there's so much more.

We make a lot of phone calls - daily. We talk to bookstores, the media, libraries, fellow authors, fans, and potential speaking engagement locations. We talk to PR agents. We speak to our publishing reps. And we do A LOT of emailing.

We have internet research, like you cannot imagine, and web sites to update every week. We spent a great many hours searching for new locations & media, and even more time researching for our next book.

We mail out a TON of promotional material, letters, postcards and press kits. Which means a TON of time spent printing all of this! And more visits to the post office than you can imagine.

And the biggest - we travel. Constantly. (I just did six book signings in eight days. Thank God my vehicle is comfy!) Every week, a different city, meeting new people, promoting our labor of love. This also means constant preparation for a book signing, like posters, book marks, etc. And maintaining a good repore with book store managers, which includes thank you notes, Christmas cards, press releases & updates.

So with that, I guess we are just a little nuts.

But I would not trade it for anything in the world. This is my dream. I will do whatever it takes!

When the dream's big enough, the facts don't count.
- Larry Winters

No comments: