Thursday, August 03, 2006

Young Adult

Just an observation ...

In speaking with libraries & doing research online, I realize how tough it is to find suitable titles for today's young adults.

When I was a teen, there wasn't the amount of YA titles available as there are today. I went straight for books like "Misty of Chincoteague" to adult fiction. Fortunately, I stayed within the realm of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, so there was little sexual content. With the exception of reading "Flowers in the Attic", I avoided the raunchier, more questionable titles.

Today, that's very difficult for teenagers, especially when their own category is full of immorality.



In book notes, MIKE is edited and ready ... but you'll have to wait! I hope that my second venture into a male main character will prove as interesting as Book III. If Mike were a real person, I think girls would be very drawn to his easy going, sensitive nature - not to mention his looks! (Think Heath Ledger.)


And for those who are struggling:

"When faced with a mountain, I will not quit! I will keep on striving until I climb over, find a pass through, tunnel underneath - or simply stay and turn the mountain into a gold mine, with God's help!"
- Robert H. Schuller

No comments: