Monday, January 09, 2012

Struggling with Book Formatting?

Book formatting is one of the greatest challenges for a self-published author. (Forgive me if I don’t use ‘indie’ - it still means a small, independent publishing company to me.) Outside of the cover art, it can cause the most frustration. You’ll either struggle to learn the program/formatting procedure or run the risk of producing a book that appears very unprofessional. (And the three things that mark a self-published book - unprofessional and poor cover art, editing, and formatting.)

This is also a service some smaller publishers outsource rather than do themselves.

One of my goals this year was to focus my efforts on what I enjoy the most. I’ve recently dropped some clients in one area to allow for more in another. I’m learning to play to my strengths, which involve the fact that I am very organized and enjoy detail work.

And that includes book formatting!

I format both print and ebooks. Recent clients include Drake Publishing and author Michael Taylor. I even formatted an ebook for our own Karen Walker. (And it was such a joy to hear her voice!)

If you are a writer, author, or publisher in search of book formatting, please visit my site, Spunk On A Stick, for details and prices. I am very reasonable (believe me, I’ve checked, and it’s scary how much some companies charge) and I guarantee my work. I am not happy until you are happy!

So before you beat your head against the keyboard or shell out $600.00 for a program like In Design, contact me. Trust me, I’ve already shelled out the cash and beat my head on the keyboard enough for both of us!

But you know what? I love it!

And just because... one more photo from our front seat TSO experience:



22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't need the book formatting but I'd like the front row seats!

Matthew MacNish said...

It's good to know there are reasonable professionals out there!

Tamara Narayan said...

Cool! I love TSO. My kids are now likewise infected and watch the video of the little girl and her kitten over and over and over. I got to see them in concert way back when (2001? 2002)

As far as book formatting, I'm not ready to take the self-publishing plunge, but if I ever do, I am going to invest in an editor, a copy-editor, and will add you name to my list for the formatting.

Anonymous said...

I just checked your prices and they are more than reasonable. Once my book is finsihed I'll do a promo for your services on my side bars.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

This is good to know! Thanks for letting us know, Diane. I know what a meticulous worker you are, too.

Cherie Reich said...

It's definitely good to know. I think formatting is one of the scariest parts of creating your own ebook.

Unknown said...

I may take you up on that offer if I choose to publish a book myself. Right now, my publisher does all the formatting.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thanks, Tamara. And I love TSO. We see them every year.

Stephen, thank you!

Elizabeth, it's funny I like detail work as patience is something I struggle with.

Cherie, it can be frustrating.

Will said...

Who could you trust more than a published author to format your work? Ya gotta trust the insider's perspective!

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Oh, my gosh! Now I have someone to refer my clients to!
Best,
Carolyn

LD Masterson said...

I've got this post tucked away for "when the time comes."

Talli Roland said...

Wow, what an amazing photo!

What a fantastic business, L Diane - Karen's book was very professionally done. I remember thinking that!

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

TSO! I'm so jealous. *long sigh*

When I'm ready you know your services are top of my list. In the meantime I'll be redoing my blog soon and will feature you on the sidebar.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

I'm so glad to read this. Recently I've been wondering about self publishing one of my stories. It takes forever to hear from a publisher, then years sometimes before the book comes out. I'm saving your post, just in case.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Carolyn, thank you.

Talli, I'm happy to hear that.

Mary, that would be really nice of you to do that.

Jess said...

Good to know~ I have a friend who may be leaning toward self-publishing. If he does, I'll definitely refer him to your site!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I truly envy you the TSO front row experience! Yes, formatting is a true pain. I outsource my formatting and my cover art (because my stick figures would just generate giggles not sales!)

I wish you great luck with your new enterprise! Roland

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Blogger keeps knocking me off your Follower's List. I showed them -- I re-upped! LOL. Roland

Bob Sanchez said...

Good post, Diane! I know you'd do a great job with formatting.

Morgan Mandel said...

It's good to know where to go if we get stuck!

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Theresa Milstein said...

I haven't been in a position to have to eformat, but if I do, I'll return!

DL Hammons said...

I've bookmarked this post for future reference (if needed). Thanks for the info! :)